Halloween Costume Expectations
In an effort to enjoy and celebrate Halloween at Fremd High School appropriately, respectfully and in accordance with the school dress code (Page 5 in the Calendar Handbook) we ask that students use the following guidelines when selecting a costume:
- No head coverings, masks or FULL face paint. Staff members must be able to identify students.
- Costumes that are provocative, revealing, sexual in nature, or employ questionable props are not permitted.
- Costumes that depict violence, alcohol or drugs are not permitted. Fake weapons are not allowed.
- Costumes that could be offensive or perpetuate a stereotype of someone’s culture, gender, heritage or religion are not permitted.
- Costumes should not hinder your ability to participate in your classes, including P.E. Costumes may not disrupt or impede traffic, or present issues of safety in the hallway.
Students wearing questionable costumes may be asked to change into normal school attire and issued school consequences. If you have any questions regarding the appropriateness of your costume idea, we encourage you to speak with a teacher or your administrator.
Talking points for teachers and parents to assist students in making smart choices…
- Remind students of their audience in the building (students, teachers, parents, community members, daycare children).
- This is a school—what may be appropriate in pop culture or the media may not be appropriate for a place of learning.
- We are a community, and we want students to think about how their costume choice may impact others within this community.
Thank you for taking the time to help our students understand these guidelines.